NEEDLE AND SHARPS AWARENESS
The purpose of this short course is to create awareness of the dangers surrounding potential needle injury especially for those who are not in the medical field and may be exposed through lack of knowledge.
Health care workers are often very aware of the risks associated with needles and other sharp objects because they are part of that work environment. However for those working outside of the health care industry the risk of a needle stick injury from a contaminated or used needle is also significant – even though it is not something you may routinely think about or be exposed to. And herein lies the challenge, those of us who are not conscious of the risks often do not take the correct precautions.
- Understanding the exposure to needle and sharps risks
- Employers responsibilities
- Employee responsibilities
- Discarded needle – where are the most likely to be found
- Needle stick injures are a REAL risk
- Risk assessment
- Basic techniques for picking up needles
- Needle & sharps containers
- Post exposure reporting
Duration – 2 hours
Number of Participants – Maximum 20
Certifying Body – Domcor Health Safety & Security Inc.
Certificate Expiry – 3 years